SalesVantage.com >> Article Archives >> Management Insights >> Goal Setting

Management Insights
   
Goal Setting
By Bob Pudlock, General Manager, Emerald Resource Group

Goal Setting is a critical competency of top performing sales professionals.

Goal Setting is a critical competency of top performing sales professionals.

In 1953, Success magazine conducted a survey and asked Yale's graduating class the following questions...
  1. Have you set goals?
  2. Have you written them down?
  3. Do you have a plan to accomplish them?
3% of the Yale class had written down their goals with a plan of action to achieve them.
13% had goals, but had never written them down.
84% had no specific goals other than to make the most out of their lives and enjoy themselves.

In 1973 when the same class was resurveyed, the difference between the goal setters and non-goal setters was stunning.

The 13% who had goals, but had not written them down, were earning on average twice the amount of the 84% of students who had no goals at all. The 3% who had written their goals down were earning on average ten times as much as the other 97% combined!!

Creating a deadline and sharing the goals with other people will take success to a whole other level.

Here

Bob Pudlock is President of Adgrego, Ltd., an executive recruiting firm that helps companies of all sizes Identify, Assess, and Capture top sales & sales management talent. Contact him at 866.330.0036 or email raisethebar@adgrego.com

More articles by Bob Pudlock
More articles on Management Insights